Sunday, August 1, 2010

Why bother with satire when there's the news?

I happened upon two stories from The Daily Beast tonight. When I read aloud the first line of the Palin one, my partner's face froze. Then he said, "Why do I even bother with satire?" The facts...they're just too ridiculous. My headlines, Daily Beast's lede.


Former half-term governor Sarah Palin uses a Spanish word, prompting universal facepalm

On Fox News Sunday, the ever-spirited former governor of Alaska lambasted President Obama for his lack of "cojones" on immigration reform, insisting that Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer possess the, er, mettle to secure America's border.
Arizona's police force is too busy comparing skin tones to crayon colors to keep inmates in prison
On Friday night, three convicted murderers cut a hole through a fence and escaped from a medium-security northwest Arizona prison before kidnapping two truck drivers at gunpoint and using a freighter as a getaway vehicle. 
Picture courtesy The Daily Show

3 comments:

  1. You forgot the part where you read me the bit about Palin, I sarcastically suggested he must be talking about Arizona's immigration law, and you told me I was right. Hence the death of satire.

    Also, "Arizona's police force is too busy comparing skin tones to crayon colors to keep inmates in prison" made me laugh inappropriately loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm pretty sure the comment that was here before was spam. So let me just say a few things:
    1- Don't compare humans to non-human lifeforms, including aliens. That's rude. If you have a point, articulate it, don't just insult.
    2- When you comment, don't be blatantly wrong. When Bush/Cheney tried to do something about immigration, it was largely conservatives who blocked it (in part bc it gave a path to citizenship and in part bc it was an agreement made behind closed doors). Then Bush stepped up "enforcement" and a lot of lives were ruined.

    ReplyDelete