Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My fatal flaw

I am utterly unable to do things that I do not enjoy. In rare cases, I can do things I do not enjoy if I really really care about the outcome. These things are rare.


Things that I do not enjoy are:
-dating boring people
-taking boring classes
-writing useless papers
-memorizing things (other than through repeated use)


Things that I don't always enjoy but will do because I see the value
-dishes
-eating meals
-showering
-writing gift acknowledgments (for work)


This affects my grad school plans greatly. At several points in my life, I planned to go to law school. I would make an awesome lawyer, but I would tear all my hair out by the end of my 1L year. I would hate the work, hate the tediousness, hate my classmates, and hate all the things you have to do to be "successful" in law school, like working on law journals and getting internships and stuff. One of my coworkers/mentors keeps telling me to get an MBA. This morning, in an email thread about our jobs' changing descriptions, he wrote: "I'll say it again, with an MBA, you'd be dangerous, in a good way." But I don't think I could make it through a class of Rah Rah Capitalism, let alone an entire program.


I wish that I was one of those people who could get through law school or business school because sometimes you have to know the system to fuck it up. I'm just not interested. I can has PhD in Savetheworld, pls?

No comments:

Post a Comment