Wednesday, June 23, 2010

U. S. Social Forum

When E first mentioned going to this year's USSF, I was skeptical and not too excited. This is the post from my semi-private journal:
Plans to go to the U.S. Social Forum are now as definite as they're likely to be. I have the time off work, we've got placed to stay on the way and in Detroit lined up, and I'm thinking about what I need to finish before I leave. I think it'll be a good time, but I'm sure it'll be emotionally intense. I need to find a way to deal with the emotional intensity that isn't dependent on E. Feedback I heard from the last USSF indicated that I need to be very prepared for
1- privilege guilt
2- pretentious people
3- more fail than I might assume, especially in the assuming experiences area
and 4- being overwhelmed

I'm excited to be going, though. In the last several months, a few of my good friends have stepped back from doing trans/gender activism. Without intending to, I did too. I've found myself dealing with issues where I'm not the privileged party -- especially with sexism at work. I generally prefer focusing on areas where I'm an ally because it lets me avoid my own shit. I have a lot of allies around me -- especially men who are so very tied up in feminism and anti-misogyny -- so it doesn't feel as scary to deal with it. I'm eager for the renewed energy that I'll have after USSF, and the people I know I'll meet. I decided to bite the bullet and read The Revolution Will Not Be Funded, even though I know it'll make me hate my job. I've mostly shrugged out of any illusions I had about my job being as radical as I'd like.
It took two days to drive up here, and I had good company (with E being notably easy to get along with even when I'm crabby). Stayed a night in Lexington, Ky., and got to Detroit around 5 on Tuesday. We're staying with E's friend Dessa, who is amazing and sweet and has a beautiful apartment located conveniently in downtown, about two or fewer miles from the various workshop locations. So, next post will be about specific workshops...because it's going to take a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment