Monday, May 3, 2010

Is it coincidence that I always wear rings on my middle finger?

My ring came! I bought myself this ring for my birthday.

My history with rings is interesting, at least to me. In 8th grade, I had a ring that was personally symbolic of my virginity and commitment to it. I took that ring off at a time that was unrelated to my sex life, after having it on for about ten years.

When I was with my college boyfriend, he gave me a promise ring for my 19th birthday. It was a beautiful simple design, with white and yellow gold and diamond chips.

When that relationship ended, it was symbolic for me to take the ring off, and I could see the mark of it on my finger for at least a year. I bought myself a ring to symbolize a commitment to myself. I had it engraved on the inside with Body Heart Mind Soul, from the Alix Olson song Eve's Mouth. After I got a tattoo of the same, I wasn't sure if I should keep wearing it.

At the beginning of 2010, I found myself wanting a new ring, which was only fueling the fire of watching people I knew in high school and college get married. So I decided to buy myself a ring. I bought it on etsy from punkybunnydesigns.com. I highly recommend her! It's handmade, and stamped with just an ampersand. It plays to my typography nerdiness and to my recognition that there is always more, always room to grow, always more to life, always more people to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment